Tooltester is supported by readers like yourself. We may earn an affiliate commission when you purchase through our links, which enables us to offer our research for free.
If you have a GoDaddy domain that you want to use with your Squarespace website, follow these simple steps.
How to Transfer a Domain Name From GoDaddy to Squarespace
- First, you’ll need to log in to your GoDaddy account
- Go to your domain portfolio and go to the domain name you want to transfer.
- Under ‘Additional Settings’ select ‘Transfer domain away from GoDaddy’.
- Review the transfer checklist details and continue with the transfer (please note that domain privacy needs to be turned off while you are transferring the domain)
- Click to see the ‘Authorization Code’.
Once you have the authorization code, you can then log in to your Squarespace account and add the domain name.
- Open your domains panel in Squarespace (if you have multiple Squarespace sites, select the right one first)
- Click on ‘Use a domain I own’
- Enter the domain name and click ‘Transfer domain’
- Enter the Authorization Code
- Check all your contact details and make sure it’s all correct and click ‘Save’
- Review your payment information
Your domain name will now be transferred to Squarespace. Usually this won’t take longer than 1-3 business days.
Find additional information in this Squarespace Help Document.
How to Point a Domain Name from GoDaddy to Squarespace
You can also point a GoDaddy domain to your Squarespace site. This way GoDaddy remains to be your domain registrar.
To do this, you’ll need to change your DNS settings. This process can be a bit technical. If you are unsure at any time, my recommendation is to ask either GoDaddy’s or Squarespace’s customer support for help.
First, you’ll need to log in to your Squarespace account and go to your site’s settings.
Then, click on the “Domains” tab. Next, click on the “Connect a Domain” button.
Enter your domain name in the field provided and click “Continue.”. Squarespace will then provide you with two different options:
- Connect it via Nameserver (NS) records (recommended)
- Connect it via A-records and CNAME
Generally the first option is recommended because then you can manage everything via Squarespace’s dashboard, which means Squarespace’s support will be able to help you. It’s also much easier to set up.
Here’s what this will look like when Squarespace shows you the NS records. Please note that yours might be different:
It won’t always be possible to use option 1, for example, for certain country specific extensions such as .fr. In these cases, you have to set up the A-records and CNAME. Ideally, you ask GoDaddy’s support to help you set this up.
Once you’ve added the DNS records to your domain, it can take up to 48 hours for the changes to propagate. But in practice, this change usually happens faster. My experience is that it’s usually less than 3 hours. Sometimes even as quick as 10 minutes.
After that is done, your domain should be pointed to your Squarespace site and you’ll be able to use it as your site’s primary domain.
I hope you found this guide useful. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Just leave a comment below.
FAQs: Connecting a GoDaddy Domain to Squarespace
Yes, GoDaddy is compatible with Squarespace.
It depends on your specific needs and preferences. However, in general, transferring your GoDaddy domain to Squarespace may be a good idea if you want to simplify your website management by having everything in one place.
The downside is that Squrespace might charge slightly more than GoDaddy and the fact that certain domain extensions are not being offered through Squarespace.
THE BEHIND THE SCENES OF THIS BLOG
This article has been written and researched following a precise methodology.Our methodology